Wednesday, May 21, 2008

What day is it?

Traci was too tired to do the blog tonight. So you get me, Matt, instead. I honestly have not had time to read anything that Traci had posted since we arrived in Colombia. So, I had to do a quick review before I could post. Let’s see what she posted . . .

landed safely – check
whisked away to impregnable “adoption compound” under cover of night – check
wonderful people we have met in said “adoption compound” - check
touristy things we did – check
great food and Luke’s diet – check
Oh, and post a few picture of Matt looking fat – check

I’ll start with my impression of the kids. They are fantastic. Andres is super sweet and gives “brazos y besos” (hugs and kisses) to everyone. He doesn’t talk much. In fact, he hardly talks at all. We’ve gotten him to say a few words, but he usually just smiles and points and that tells us what we need to know. And when they told us he likes to play with cars, they weren’t kidding. The kid is constantly on the floor zooming cars around the place. When he isn’t doing that, he is giving us one of his cars. At first I thought he wanted to play but then he just walks away and does his own thing. He’s a really funny little guy and extremely lovable. We’ve managed to get him down for one nap each day and he is pretty good about it. However, when it comes time to go to bed he really let’s us know he is not happy.

As Traci said, Maria is a total daddy’s girl and, yes, I am loving every minute of it. She has been fighting naps these first couple days and pretty much won each battle. The first time we went to take nap, I laid her down and she immediately grabbed for the TV remote in our room. Problem is, the TV doesn’t work for some reason. So, we really didn’t end up sleeping. Today, we laid down again but no nap. Later in the day, we were in the common area of El Refugio (the “g” sounds kind of like and “h” and it is fun to say) and she fell asleep in my arms. Before that happened, we were watching one of the telenovelas that are constantly on the TV in Colombia. I am guessing that she used to watch telenovelas when she took her naps. I know I got a little sleeping watching (of course, I can barely understand anything people say, but whatever it is they are saying they are really passionate about it). Anyway, I am going to have to get that TV in our room fixed.

The relationship between Traci and Maria has been a little hot and cold, but from what we have been told that is fairly common among older kids and particularly girls and their new mami’s. Tonight ended on a very good note and it seems that things are already getting a little better. So, time is working to our advantage. I know it has been a little hard on Traci, particularly when she sees the attention I get from Maria. However, she has been great about not letting it get her down too much and pressing forward with being a good mom for Maria.

Today we got around a little late because it took a while to get the ninos (tilda on the second “n”) to bed and we wanted to let them sleep. I think we got down for breakfast at about 8:30. As with the day before, I got about one cup of coffee down before Oscar, our attorney, came to the door and said that I had to leave for the notary to sign a power of attorney in 15 minutes (Surprise!). So, I pretty much missed breakfast again. However, when Oscar came back 15 minutes later, he said Traci had to go too. So, she scurried around and both of us, in sweats, left for the notary with Oscar. It was just a few blocks away and we all walked. Thank God, we didn’t have to appear in court or something because we both looked a little rough. The power of attorney we signed is so that Oscar can act on our behalf in court proceedings without us (a little more official than the retainer letters we use in our office). As for breakfast, I don’t think I missed any real special treats. They pretty much serve eggs and French toast (Freedom toast for Jim and John back at the office) every day. Still, like all of the food, it’s pretty good.

We pretty much hung around El Refugio most of the day. Luke, Maria and I went to run errands and for a short trip to the park. Andres might be coming down with a cold so Traci stayed behind with him and to make sure he got a good nap in. I have been dying to try this Juan Valdez coffee shop everyone talks about. So I made that our first stop. It was pretty good, but the coffee they make here at the compound is also very good (and I don’t have to leave). Our next stop was to the bank and the ATM. I once again withdrew a huge wad of pesos and stuffed my pockets.

Matt anecdote alert: the Colombian monetary system has been a little difficult for me to grasp and I still don’t think I have the hang of it. I forget exactly what the exchange rate is, but a cup of coffee costs something like $2,400 pesos. Someone told us the easiest way to figure it out is to “make the comma into a decimal, then divide in half and add a little more.” So, that is how I am spending my cash. Thanks goodness I don’t have to tip much because some waiter would probably either be spitting in my food or buying a new car the next day.

The electronics store was next on our list. As you know, we (Traci) dropped the camera on Sunday and we had to make an emergency trip to get a new one (cha-ching!!). After we bought our new camera, we noticed that the SD cards we had purchased for our trip did not work in the new camera (D@mn Sony and their proprietary memory stick cards!!) Traci omitted to comment in her previous blog on how when we were there the previous day, a couple of the girls behind the counter were apparently making fun of my language skills. Traci speaks less Spanish than me but when they tuned back around she was giving one of them a funny look and we think she though Traci understood because she got really red in the face. I prefer to think they were talking about how handsome Traci’s husband was and how they too hoped to find a strapping young man like that to marry some day. But we can stick with Traci’s story that they were poking fun at me.

After that, we went to the park where Luke only got hurt once and Maria only got hurt trice on the teeter totter (and you wonder why you never see any new teeter totters in the US). It was a pretty short trip to the park as everyone was a little tired from walking around. We did get some ice cream from one of the street vendors on the way home. I arrived back at the compound just in time for lunch with two sticky kids.

Lunch was pretty good. They served us beans, rice and loose hamburger in separate bowls, but when mixed together it was pretty good (I think we were supposed to do that. If not, I take full credit or the new recipe). We also had some sort of meat like dish that looked like little-bitty, extremely dry spare ribs. The dryness was a little confusing to me because before we left to run errands I saw the meat being boiled in the kitchen. They were okay, but I won’t be asking for that recipe. We also had friend plantains and some sort of little corn muffin (I am sure someone who has been here will know the name of them as I also ate them last Friday in the Colombian restaurant in KCK).

There isn’t too much to say about after lunch. Traci took Andres and Luke for a quick walk for some air, but mostly to take Luke to McDonald’s for lunch. Poor kid has pretty much turned his nose up at almost everything they serve here. We did have a big downpour while they were out and I was a little worried but it turns out the were in the McDonal’s during the worst of it. Maria and I tried watching some DVD’s but Maria’s attention span is pretty short. She did pretty well with “Tom and Jerry” but we probably got through about two of those short cartoons. I also read Maria’s new book to her. I think it is called “Quiero my papi porque . . . (I love my daddy because . . . )” but can’t be sure even though we have read it about 50 times already. It’s the only book we have given her so far that is almost all in Spanish. I think I am going to have to break out some new ones (although my pronunciation in this one is finally starting to actually sound Spanish as opposed to Spanglish).

At dinner it was my turn to help feed Andres. He doesn’t feed himself and the “feeder” usually gets to eat a fine, cold meal. So, I got to eat a couple pieces of cold chicken, two pieces of cold broccoli, and a small piece of cold potato (aside from the portions, it sounds pretty American, don’t it). Desert was the festive Colombian portion of our meal tonight. They brought out bananas (standard) and some sort of fruit that looks like an orange with a smooth rind and a stem. Maria’s eyes immediately lit up when she saw this local treat. They are called “granadilla” (special thanks to the little 9 y/o girl here named Natalie for helping me with the spelling on that) and you eat them by first banging them on the table to knock a hole in the hard rind. Then, you make a larger opening and spoon out the jelly and seeds for a tasty little treat. Traci and Luke weren’t real fond of it but Maria and Andres loved it. I had just a bit and didn’t think it was too bad. And as Traci discovered, the seeds are a little hard so you don’t chew it, you just let it slide on down.

As for Luke’s diet, he finally decided to try something that didn’t look like it was cooked in the Midwest. He actually enjoyed the chicken once we got him to eat it. He also had some potatoes, but no broccoli (he never really liked that in the States either). Unfortunately, I doubt they will be cooking that particular chicken every night. As another side note, we brought a couple bottle of ranch dressing all the way from the U.S.A. for Luke to eat with his food (he smoothers everything in ranch). Maria and Andres tried some tonight and they both loved it. Maria in particular, who was practically eating it by the spoonful without the requisite salad or chicken. If we bought a particular brand of dressing, I’d be telling all of you to invest big in that company when we return.

Tonight we gave Maria and Andres their first baths (with us, I am sure they have had them before because they both smelled really good when we got them). We learned that Andres is really not too fond of water. You would think we were trying to put him to bed or something. Afterwards, Maria wanted me to comb her hair (more daddy’s girl stuff). She only said “ouch” two or three times, so I think I did okay.

We were told that the usual bed times for Andres and Maria were 7:30 and 8:00, respectively. We’ve been trying to keep to that schedule but it is hard when dinner is served at 7:00 p.m. It’s really hard on Luke who is used to a 9:00 p.m. (or later) bed time. So, we let Luke run around downstairs on his own while we tried to get Maria and Andres to sleep at about 8:30 (yeah, we blew it again but we are getting better). Maria did pretty well tonight, but Andres cried and fussed again. Traci and I decided to turn out the lights, lay on out bed and wait for them to go to sleep before sneaking out to join Luke. Maria went to sleep fairly well but when Andres wasn’t rolling around crying he would just sit and look at us. Finally, Traci decided to join Luke so that he wouldn’t be alone and I stuck with the night watch. Andres began to fuss again when Traci left. After a minute or two of whining, I leaned over and during a break when he was catching he breath and in a stern voice said, “Te duermes” which I am pretty sure means “You sleep” but not in a command type form (Sorry to Susan and all my previous Spanish teachers). Anyway, that was the last I heard from him. 15 minutes later, I escaped.

The reason for the escape was to spend a little two on one time with Luke. First of all, we can’t be more proud of this kid. I think he has aged a couple of years maturity-wise on this trip so far. He’s not only been great with Maria and Andres, but he is also friendly with all of the kids living in the compound. He’s been much more outgoing than I have ever seen him before. And even though none of the kids here speak English, he seems to be communicating on some level. However, Maria and Andres demand quite a bit of our attention and we see that Luke sometimes feels a little neglected. So we wanted to have a little time to eat popcorn and just hang out with Luke giving him the time he has been missing the last couple days. I am also going to try to sneak him away for breakfast, just the two of us, tomorrow morning. I told him this evening that I doubt his mom and I could have gotten through this without his help.

In general, my impressions of Bogotá are extremely favorable and it is much like people have been telling me. Granted, I think we are in a pretty nice area, but the people are all extremely handsome and charming. The other folks living in the compound with us are also extremely nice. Unfortunately, we probably know the least amount of Spanish of anyone here, but between our token Spanish and their usually pretty good English, we can exchange pleasantries or obtain/provide assistance fairly easily. The people working here in El Refugio are just great and I would recommend this place to any of my friends who were visiting Bogotá (of course, I think you have to go home with a couple of extra kids). We have very clean rooms, great food, and plenty of help in getting around town. They have also helped me a little with my Spanish. As many of you know, I have been trying to study in my spare time and have been listening to CD’s in my car on the way to and from work for the last few months (thanks, Kitts family). Well, the past couple days has been like driving to work for about 16 hours a day. All Spanish, all of the time. I just have a very basic grasp of things and can understand Maria most of the time. The thing that really throws me though is her little kid accent which I didn’t account for. Once in a while she will tell me something I totally do not understand and I just nod my head and say, “Si, si.” As I told a couple of my friends back home, I sure hope I haven’t promised her a nice car when she turns 16 or something.

I’ll close now as this is already the mother of all blogs and (hopefully) get a few pictures in. Given the length of this blog, I do not know if Traci will let me post again.






Morning with the kids.


Me and Andres talking on the phone with Nana Judy and Papa Denny. Maria joined in too and I don't know what kind of Spanish my folks were throwing at her but she said "Si" a couple of times.


Dinner with most of the family. I have noticed that i have one again neglected my picture taking duties as Traci isn't in any of these.


This is me apparently trying to speak Spanish to Andres and him looking thoroughly confused.


He eats!!!


Maria eating her granadilla.


Probably not the most flattering picture of Traci, but I had to include one in here somewhere. You can almost see Andres over Traci's . . . Well, he's there taking a nap.

12 comments:

Genece said...

Matt,
Thanks for sharing your very honest perspective, and I especially enjoyed how you incorporate humor throughout the posting! So glad I checked your family's blog before heading off to bed...it put a nice cap on the entire day!

Congratulations, Jensen family! It's very pleasing to see your family coming together in such a blessed way! Thanks for posting pictures too!

I'm sure you are so very proud of Luke for his willingness to help out! It makes things go so much smoother, doesn't it? Enjoy the many memories you are now making!
May God bless your family!
Genece

Unknown said...

Hola - "Uke", Maria, Andres, Traci & Matt!

Wow what a busy few days, but ones you will cherish forever. Sounds like Luke has fallen into the "BB" role like he has always been there. Way to go. I know Behr misses you. Last night we were looking at the pictures and Crissy immediately said "Uke, Uke". We all stood around the computer marveling at your beautiful new family. It is great to be to share the experience without actually adding kids to our family!!! One day things will fall into place, keep your chin up Traci it will happen before you know. By the way don't worry about Andres not saying much, give him a few days with Crissy and he won't stop. Keep us updated it is great to see how things are progressing. Hello and we miss you from the entire Kitts clan.

Marilyn said...

Thanks, Matt for the great blog-I find myself wanting to check it all the time. I was so tired last night- I am sure not as tired as you all are....but I found enough energy to check out the blog...great pics..looks like a normal family...busy and exhausted!!! Take care and do have a great day. Luke I am so proud of you...you are an incredible young man...I know Maria and Andres just adore you. Take care and I do hope to see my buddy Traci sometime soon showing her prettiest side!!! Love to all!

Whitney said...

Wonderful blog!! I laughed and teared up through most of it! Yeah to Luke for venturing out foodwise!!!! The kids all look very happy.
Traci-Tonight's the night for AI. I'll get on as soon as it's announced to let you know!
Whitney

blg67 said...

Matt, you make me laugh! I love all the pics (except you need more with Traci in them!!) Everyone looks so happy! Our girls are all three Daddy's girls. Kurt loves it!

Luke, what an awesome big brother you are!! I'm sure your parents are very proud of you!

Love,
Laura

Melanie M. said...

Loved the blog! You guys look so cute in all the pics (your rear included in that compliment Traci...what a true husband camera "arse" shot!)

Way to go Luke...for the food and big bro adjustment! I'm glad you guys were able to have some time after your youngest two kiddos were sleeping.

Can't wait to meet Maria & Andres in person (and Parker is going to be thrilled to have a two-yr-old buddy to play cars with!).

Summer break for the kids and I started this morning, as yesterday was Aidan's last day of preschool. I cried the entire way home thinking about my guy starting kindergarten. Steve hasn't had the opportunity to "reflect"...he got to spend the night at a hormonal 9th grade graduation dance instead!

Take care,
Melanie

Sherri said...

You guys are in the same room and at the same table we were at! I hope today is going well. Everyone goes through an adjustment time, but I know it's hard while you're in it, so I'll be praying. But it sounds like Luke is doing well, I'm so glad! And again, Maria and Andres are so beautiful, just like their big brother.

Love,
Sherri

PS- Since I think we were in the same room (blue bathroom?), here's a little treasure hunt, find the mispelled English word on the bathroom sign.

SpeedyFeetMW said...

1 Corintios 13:4 "El amor es paciente..."
Hang in there dear Traci, it won't be long before she thinks you "hung the moon"! ...And know that there will come a time when you are desperate for some "Mommy Alone Time" and she won't want to leave your side! I do recommend a little Nail Painting Bonding Time! Every little girl I know loves to have their toe nails and finger nails painted!
Last night the boys rushed through their baths so we could check your blog site! What a wonderful family of five! I loved the picture of all three playing on the floor of your hotel room! Luke looks like he is "on top of the world!" We can't wait to read more and see more pictures. Oh, and we are a little concerned about the "little-bitty" spare ribs.(typed with a giggle)

sdockingoe said...

I am laughing and crying as I read your wonderful blog. I am thrilled to death for all of you and I wish I was there to help with the Spanish. BUt it sounds like mami y papi are doing fine! Hang in there. Here are a few words that might be helpful -
Duérmete - Fall asleep (The command form)
No llores - Don't cry (Remember the ll is like the y sound)
Te amo or Te quiero - I love you
Querido/ querida - dear
Mi hijo/Mi hija - another phrase of endearment.(my son/my daughter) I can't wait to leer mas mañana.
Muchos besitos y abrazos,
SUSAN D

Whitney said...

Traci-
Two words.....
DAVID COOK!!!!!!
Whit

sdockingoe said...

Hola y felicidades (congrats!) I am laughing and crying while reading your blog. I am thrilled to death for all of you and wish I could be there to help with the Spansih. BUt it sounds like mami y papi are doing a fine job! Hang in there and here are a few helpful phrases for you: Duérmete (that's the command for fall asleep) Te amo ( I love you) If you need a sweet word to call them beside their names use "mi hijo" and "querido"/"querida" - "dear." I can't wait to read mas mañana. Muchos besitos y abrazos,
SUSAN D

D and Moni said...

Matt you are hilarious! I enjoy hearing your view of things as well as Traci. You sound so much like my husband that i can picture the goings on quite clearly! My favorite was the hair combing story. Too sweet! I am living vicariously through your great stories right now and cant wait to go myself one day soon! And thanks for the Spanish lessons: granadilla and te duermes! OK, got it!
Monica