Saturday, May 17, 2008

We have arrived!



We have arrived safely. It's been a long day but everything went smoothly, the flights were great--both were even a little early. Thanks to my dad and Kathy, and my mom and Ron for taking us to the airport. It took all of us to get our mass amount of luggage to the check-in!




When we got on the plane, I still felt like I was in a dream. It just seems so weird that the time has finally come. When we arrived in Atlanta, we went and had a meal at TGIFridays. I was craving my last glass of good, cold milk, only to get a glass full of spoiled milk instead. Oh well. Anyway, we finally made it to the international terminal. As we were walking through, I started having that feeling of anxiety about going to an unfamiliar place. I was quickly put at ease when I saw a huge contingent of US Army men and women. We spoke with a couple of them. They were all heading to Iraq. Suddenly, my anxieties went away. My worries couldn't be anything compared to theirs! Anyway, they were so kind and I made sure to thank them for what they are doing to keep us safe. They were even kind enough to take a picture with Luke.



The flight to Bogota was perfect, going through customs was a matter of picking up our luggage (which was amoung the first out) and walking right through the door. We immediately spotted Andres, the man here to help us get around, and easily got to El Refugio. We immediately met Debi and Mark, another CHI family, who just adopted a little girl. It was so neat to know them before we ever got to meet them. How wonderful to see "familiar" faces in an unfamiliar place. We are in the midst of unpacking in our VERY small room. I don't think our room is as big as Maria's room at home and there are bunks, a crib, a ful size bed, a full bathroom and two large closets. They definitely use their space here. But it will all be perfect.

Well, I'm signing off. Were all tired and want to get unpacked so that maybe we can go to a market tomorrow. This way unpacking will be one less thing we have tomorrow night as we prepare for our big Monday! I'll end with a few more miscellaneous pics from the day. Love to all! Please say many prayers.


Saying goodbye to Max was tough!



An excited big brother saying goodbye to his grandparents.



Waiting to leave Kansas City.

Heading to Bogota.

6 comments:

CKGruss said...

Hi, guys, You have been in my prayers every day and I had it on my calendar that you were going to Columbia today!!!! I also have been keeping up with your activities and it makes me tired, but know that you are doing such a wonderful thing for such sweet little ones. I cannot be happier for you and very excited as well. We are so far away from each other, but I feel you so close because of your continuous posts.
The pictures are wonderful and Maria and Andres could not become a part of a better family than you three. May God be with you always.

All my love,

Aunt Carole xxxooo

Jenn said...

We're praying for you! Glad you made it safely and can't wait to hear more about it. :)

peace and blessings,
jenn

SpeedyFeetMW said...

We thought about you often Saturday! ...And Nate kept wondering just how many airplanes you had to get on to get to Columbia. After all we had to get on 2 different ones just to get to Florida. ...And we ate at the same TGI Fridays in Atlanta. We giggled because we also didn't have the best meal there! Anyhow, we are glad to know you arrived safely - and we can't wait to see the pictures on Monday!
Bye for Now,
The Wickham Family

blg67 said...

We are so excited that you made it safely!! We've been thinking about you every day and can hardly wait until tomorrow!! Our prayers are with you and your family!
Love,
Kurt, Laura and girls!

Elizabeth and Joe Chambers said...

Congratulations Jensen family. I look forward to reading of your journey and I will be praying for you as you get to meet your new members!

John, Patty, Tiffany & Brian said...

Glad to hear you made it safely. We also stayed at El Refugio and had a great time. I am so excited for you and your family. I didn't seem real for me either until Brian walked through the door. It was an amazing experience and I hope the same for you. Take care.