Saturday, April 26, 2008

Even Without You, We Celebrate


It has been two weeks since we learned about Andres and Maria.  Since then, we have been in high gear with paperwork, preparing rooms, readying the house for those who will stay here while we are gone, not to mention all of the other things spring time brings.  It wasn't until yesterday that I felt like I hit a wall.  We still have three weeks to go before we can go get Maria and Andres.  It seems like an eternity away.  The fact that yesterday was Andres' 2nd birthday I believe was the trigger of all of this.  The day seemed special but not complete since our guest of honor was unable to be with us.  So instead of sitting and doing nothing, we decided to have a party anyway.  You can see by the pictures above that even Max, our dog, got in on the celebration (and I know that he is looking forward to having a two-year old in the house again so crumbs will once again hit the floor!)  Matt and Luke picked out car cupcakes because they were sure that's what Andres would want on his cake.  We lit two candles, sang "Happy Birthday" in Spanish and then Luke blew out one candle and all of us blew out the other.  And yes, there were wishes made!  Now cross your fingers that they come true!  After the cake ceremony, we all wondered what Andres was doing with his foster family, making up stories as to what their celebration for him must have looked like.  We video taped all of the festivities as well as our thoughts so he can watch it someday.  Although I'm so glad we celebrated , I found my heart aching in a few different ways.  First, my heart aches for his foster family who has celebrated the final time with Maria (in March) and Andres on their birthdays. I can't imagine what it must be like to have these beautiful children with you for over a year only to have someone come and take them away from you.  Yes, I know that's part of the deal of being a foster parent, but I'm sure it doesn't ease the pain when saying goodbye.  Second, I hurt inside because I wish we could have been with him and Maria today.  I would love to have seen the excitement on his face as he turned two, but I have to focus on the fact that we will have a lifetime of birthdays ahead.  It's now time to focus our energy on the excitement we will see on their faces when we get them in 3 more weeks so that we can love them, hold them and celebrate FOR GOOD.  God, please let these three weeks fly by!  I miss them!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am sure Andres had a good time yesterday. However, no birthday will compare to the first ones Maria and Andres get to share with their FAMILY!! They will think it is neat to celebrate "BB" Luke's 8th birthday with him.
I pray that the next 3 weeks fly by (which they probably really will). Enjoy Luke and the quiet for the next few weeks because after that serene moments will be rare :)

Brian and Penny said...

I can imagine that the countdown gets hard but it will be amazing when you finally get to wrap your arms around them. Enjoy your time together as a family of 3 because it will change very soon.

Penny

D and Moni said...

That was too sweet! Can you even imagine what birthday number 3 will be like? Well you will have Christmas and a whole lot of celebrations before that I'm sure! It is such a countdown now...I can't wait! Happy Birthday Andres!

Monica

Children's Hope International said...

Your dog really does seem to be celebrating. Happy Birthday, Andres!

I'm glad you received your package and all is heading towards travel on the 19th. I am so excited for your family!

Boyacheks said...

Hello! I am so excited that you guys will be here soon!! Colombia is beautiful. If you want to give me your email address I will go into detail about the lodging here. Mine is: jaimeboyachek@bellsouth.net
Have fun getting everything ready!
Jaime

Nate and Rena Duewel said...

Jensen Family,
We are so excited for you and can't wait to meet your family. We have told our children that two more children from Colombia are coming to live in Kansas like them. They think that they are here now and want to see them, so we will most definitely be following your journey while in SA.
Please let us know if there is anything that you need before you go. We would love to share or help in any way that we could.
The Duewel Family