Saturday, April 12, 2008

Celebration underway!


Did I say 3-6 months that we would be waiting?  I was wrong!  I meant three DAYS!  Yes, you've heard it right.  WE HAVE A REFERRAL--one girl and one boy!!!!  The call came at 11:15am yesterday as I sat at the computer making a list of all the things I needed to get accomplished within the next three months.  (Needless to say, I haven't gotten back to that list.)  ICBF (the Colombian government) was in clear understanding that we would be switching back to the 0-7 list when they initially approved us for 0-6.  They knew we just needed to play the waiting game until timing was right.  Since our dossier was approved in November, we literally have already done our waiting time.  Matter of fact, a family whose dossier was approved the same day as ours left yesterday to get their two, new children.  For this reason, we are suspecting that the ICBF approved us based upon that knowledge!  Regardless, you can imagine the complete shock I felt when getting the phone call.  You can never prepare for the moment when CHI says, "We have your children!"  And when they did, I gasped, wanted to scream (but didn't maybe because I am still recovering from my strained vocal cords from Mario's 3-point shot Monday night), wanted to cry (but couldn't because I was in shock), and wanted to call everyone under the sun (but didn't because we wanted to get in touch with our immediate family first).   Instead, I sat in complete silence and began gasping for air a little bit.  As soon as I received all of the information, I immediately called Matt.  He was away from his desk.  UGH!  I called his cell phone and after what seemed like a million rings, he finally answered.  Last night, my mom, step dad, dad and step mom all came over and we surprised them.  (Ok, Dad, I know you were on to us!)  It was a wonderful evening.  We wish we could call each and every one of you and give you the news, but obviously, that's an impossibility!  So, as we will do throughout the next few months, we will share it all through this blog.  Enough about this stuff.  We are thrilled and want to share more about our kids!!!!

Our children are from Cundinamarca which is outside of Bogota.  Our beautiful daughter is named Maria and she just turned four in March.  She loves toys that light up and make sounds, as well as dancing, playing with others and running.  (Luke has already commented that she will love to play tag with him!)  And to our delight, she also loves to show physical affection giving hugs and kisses!!!!  Our gorgeous son is Hector Andres and he will be turning 2 on April 25.  He loves to play with cars (thank God as we have every Matchbox car under the sun!) and toys that can be manipulated and carried from place to place.  He loves to dance, laugh and jump.   Although we have no specific info on when this will all take place, it is typical that you leave within a month of getting your referral.  So it looks like we will be heading to Bogota by the middle of May.  YIKES!  I guess I better shorten that list I was making yesterday as I don't have as much time to burn now.    I feel as if I just found out I was pregnant and then the doctor followed it up by saying, "Oh yeah, not only are you pregnant, but you are due in four weeks."  So much to do, so little time, but how blessed we are!  With sports cancelled today due to the weather, Luke and I are going to spend time going through the boxes of toys that I have saved to see if any of them will be of interest to Maria and Hector Andres.  I will also go through the few boxes of boys clothes that I have saved to see if any would be appropriate for Hector Andres.  As far as Maria goes--if any of you have or know of anyone who has any used girl clothing in the late 3, early 4 year range, I would be very interested in taking it off of their hands and paying for it.  My other goal is to figure out how we will furnish their bedrooms as they will each have their own room.  How exciting to get to decorate a girl's bedroom!!! The financial expenditures ahead of us just to prepare for their arrival is a little overwhelming, but this is one of the moment's we have waited for and we have faith that all will work out!   So as you can tell, WE ARE ECSTATIC!  Luke is so excited to finally be a big brother, and the sweetest part of yesterday was when Luke was going to bed.  He told me, "Mommy, I want to dream about them tonight so I can see them better and we can play."  Priceless!!!!!

You can expect that I will posting a new blog every day or two to give you updates of what is happening.  We will be getting a call from CHI on Monday to tell us more about what paperwork has to be rounded up/obtained as well as dates to expect to leave.  Until then, we have a weekend ahead of us to celebrate and begin planning!   Blessings to all, and please keep saying your prayers.  How wonderful that we can now refer to them by name when we pray!  Until then, this proud, proud mom of THREE is signing off!

15 comments:

John, Patty, Tiffany & Brian said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you. You have such beautiful children. Look forward to following your blog.

Jenn said...

I am sitting at my computer with my mouth hanging wide open! Never mind the tears in my eyes... Wow, I am completely floored. Three days?!?! CONGRATULATIONS!! I really hope you will be able to make it Monday night but I'll be stalking your blog like mad for updates. I wonder if Beth will still be in Bogota when you get there? You'll probably just miss them. I am so excited for you guys! :)

Dios te bendiga!
jenn

Jennifer said...

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!! Wow! How exciting!!! They are adorable!! I'm SOOO excited for you guys & can't wait to read more about your journey!

Jennifer

Boyacheks said...

WOW! Congrats!!!! They are SOOO cute! I am so excited for you guys. Hey, maybe we will see you down there! Can't wait!!!
Jaime

Nicole said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! Isn't it amazing how fast God can work. It's when we least expect it! Have fun shopping & getting ready! Looking forward to reading your blog!

todd said...

Our prayers have been answered. It is amazing what faith will do. Uncle Todd's world just got a little brighter today as I get to see my new niece and nephew for the first time, although it is only in a picture. They were right when they said a picture is worth a thousand words.

Dan and Karen said...

So excited to see the additions to your family! They are beautiful.

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

They are beautiful! How awesome! Congrats, Mami y Papi y Hermano!!!

Genece said...

What fabulous news! I have to tell you that when I wrote my last comment on your blog just the other day, I had such an overwhelming feeling that your day was very close! When I wrote Luke, soon you'll have sister & brother to play with, I really felt it was close. So glad it turned out to be true! Your children are such cuties and I can't wait to hear more as the news comes in and the plans put into motion. CONGRATULATIONS to you! May God continue to bless you!
Genece

Genece

Brian and Penny said...

I can't believe it....I am so excited for you, my heart bursts! How awesome is our God. I can't wait to read more about it.

Penny

Beth said...

This is awesome news and they are beautiful! Oh I can't wait to follow your journey. Bogota is lovely. Congrats!!!!!

D and Moni said...

Traci, you must be sooooo excited, especially after what felt like a set back just a few weeks ago! I am so happy that the Lord lifted that burden and is blessing your family with these two gorgeous children!!! I am so glad that you live close so that i can see them in person when you return! I will pray for a smooth transition in bringing them home! Congratulations Mami! Will we see you present a referral on Monday???

Adelman said...

WOW! Such amazing news! Your kiddos are just beautiful! We hope to see you in Bogotá and get to meet your family in person!

Debi
web.mac.com/adelman622/iweb

Joe & Julie Pascuzzi said...

What amazing news! We are thrilled that your family will soon be complete and together very soon. Maria and Hector Andres are simply adorable! Best of luck in your final preparations. YAY!

Nate and Rena Duewel said...

Jensens/Neighbors,
This is SOOOOOOO exciting!!! Your children are beautiful!!! We are pumped! We are excited that there will be two more Jayhawk fans now to cheer on our teams. We will try to help out as much as we cam with the items on your "list". Please email me and we will see what we can cover for you.