Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Calling of a Mother

I'm going on night #4 without solid sleep.  Fatigued?  Exhausted? Yes, so why am I sitting up at 3:30am and blogging, right?  I guess it's a case of being so tired that I can't sleep or maybe it's because when I only work a few days a week and I have to miss more than one of those days, I get a little stressed.  But I think it's mostly because I hurt when my kids hurt.  No one can ever prepare a mom for that pain.  Nevertheless, there's no place I would rather be than right here with my sick kids. Andres started me off with the first 3 nights of no solid sleep.  Poor guy started in with a really bad cough and some congestion.  By the time Monday rolled around, he was pretty miserable, even though he can still break out smiles even when feeling his worst.  : )  We found out he has severe bronchitis and is doing three breathing treatments a day.  The hardest part is seeing him put his arms across his chest when he coughs and saying "Owie!" There's nothing I can do but hold him tight and tell him it will get better.  It will, right?  He's still not doing all that great. His low-grade fever came back yesterday and his breathing is still somewhat labored. Let's hope today, Wednesday, brings better things his way!  I prayed when I went to bed Tuesday evening (just a few hours ago) that I would get a night of solid sleep.  BUt guess what?  If there's anything that having kids has taught me, I am not in control!  I woke up at 1:30am, a few hours ago, to soft whimpers.  I thought it was Andres again.  Strike one--I was surprised to see that they were coming from Maria's room.  I stood outside her door for a minute because I thought maybe she was working through a dream.  Strike two--instead her whimpers increased and I went in to discover that she was having a horrible earache.  So what's a mom to do?  I'd already used up two strikes and didn't want to get my third.  My first reaction?  Call Mom!  I remember her giving me some home remedy when I was a little girl to help with my earaches that occurred in the middle of the night.  But reality hit--oh wait, it's almost 2am.  I can't call my mom and scare the daylights out of her!  So thank goodness for the internet and Google searches.  Now, here I sit, and wait patiently, to make sure that some Tylenol, flushing of hydrogen peroxide sitting in the ear for 10 minutes, and a few drops of warm olive oil are going to work.  So far, we've gone 10 minutes and I hear nothing from Maria's room.  Let's hope that she can get her through the night so I can take her to the doctor's office first thing.   Until then, I sit here and hurt, wishing I could administer a cure, when all I can do is fulfill the calling of being a mom and comfort her if the pain returns.  And unfortunately, I think I hear her calling. . . 

7 comments:

Sherri said...

I pray all the kids are feeling better!

Adelman said...

Oh Traci...

I hope those kiddos are doing better today and that you get some much needed rest.

Debi

D and Moni said...

Oh my...I am not looking forward to those nights. We haven't had any major illnesses yet, but I know they are coming. My heart goes out to you! I will pray they heal quickly and that you have the wisdom and patience to help them through it. It sounds like you are doing all you can for the time being!

Anonymous said...

Traci, we are having a bad time with cold/cough around here. Our first sick time with the girls. It is hard the first time that is for sure. Hang in there.

Julia

Mayra said...

So sad!
I hope your little onew get better soon and you get some sleep.

Nicole said...

I'll be praying for you all today. I feel your pain! The flu has hit us hard this week. A different kid each day and now my husband is on the couch with a fever. I'll have to look up those sites about earaches. Avi had two ear infections within a months time.

Laura S said...

Hope everyone is feeling better...and that you have finally gotten caught up on your sleep.